Child Custody Caring. Compassionate. Driven.

Houston Child Custody Lawyer

Protecting Your Parental Rights

Every parent loves their children and, naturally, the idea of spending less time with them is not an easy thought to cope with.

However, if you are getting a divorce, you and your former spouse must divide your time with the children.

At The Pollard Firm, PLLC in Houston, our child custody lawyer is experienced in handling these challenging legal matters and will advocate on your behalf for the child custody arrangement you are seeking.

You can rely on our law firm to get you through this difficult experience.

Call our Houston law firm today at (832) 864-9296 to schedule a personalized consultation with our compassionate child custody lawyer!

How is Child Custody Determined in Houston, TX?child custody dispute Texas

In Houston, Texas, child custody is also referred to as conservatorship, and parents are referred to as conservators. When determining conservatorship, a judge may grant either joint managing conservatorship or sole managing conservatorship.

If granted custody or conservatorship, a parent will have the right to:

  • Obtain information from the other parent regarding the child’s education, welfare, and health
  • Have access to the child’s psychological, educational, dental, and medical records
  • Speak the child’s psychologist, physician, or dentist
  • Speak to child’s teacher or other school officials regarding their educational status or extracurricular activities
  • Consent to surgical, dental, or medical treatment during an emergency situation

What is Considered an Unfit Parent in Houston, Texas?

Generally, family courts in Houston, TX believe the involvement of both parents is in the best interests of the children. However, there are some unique circumstances in which one parent may be granted sole managing conservatorship or custody due to one parent being deemed an unfit parent in Houston, Texas.

Here are some examples:

  • One parent has a history of domestic abuse or neglect
  • One parent has a history of substance abuse or other criminal activity
  • One parent has been absent from the child’s life
  • There was severe conflict between the parents regarding the religious, medical, and educational values
  • One parent does not wish to have joint managing conservatorship

Below are some of the other pertinent factors a judge will examine when determining child custody:

  • The quality of the relationship between the child and each parent
  • The physical and mental health of each parent
  • The willingness of each parent to support the other’s relationship with the child
  • The ability of each parent to provide a stable and loving home environment
  • The wishes of each parent

Although a Houston judge may consider the wishes of each parent, it does not necessarily mean you will receive the arrangement you are pursuing.

Is Texas a Mother or Father State?

Texas does not favor mothers or fathers in custody cases. According to Texas law, judges base rulings on custody cases on the child's best interest. However, it is crucial to understand the law regarding courts and the court's discretion when determining child custody.

Texas Custody Laws for Unmarried Parents

In Texas, if a child is born to unmarried parents, custody, both legal and physical, are automatically given to the mother. Whether the father signed the birth certificate is irrelevant. The only way for the father to gain legal or physical custody is to establish paternity with the court and file for custody.

Speak to Our Experienced Child Custody Lawyer in Houston About Your Custody Case Today!

If you are in the middle of a child support or child custody dispute, reach out to the family law team at The Pollard Firm, PLLC in Houston, TX for the skilled legal guidance you need to protect your rights as a parent.

Our Houston family lawyer understands the challenges you will face during this process and can provide the representation you need to smoothly navigate these disputes.

Reach out to our law firm today at (832) 864-9296 to schedule a personalized consultation with our child custody lawyer in Houston.

Why Choose The Pollard Firm, PLLC

Personalized Attention for Your Unique Case
  • Family Helping Family

    The best interests of you and your family are the main priority. It's the core of our work.

  • Tailored Solutions for Your Case

    Your story and situation deserve personalized attention. Every case is different.

  • We're in This Together

    Teamwork and collaboration help create favorable results. You'll be guided every step of the way.

  • Communication is Key

    You will always be informed about your case. Have questions? You can always contact your attorney directly.

Let's Get Started

Schedule Your Consultation
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.