Child Support Attorney in Houston
Fighting for the Needs of Your Children
To ensure both parents are caring for their children, child support is usually ordered, which the non-custodial guardian must pay. A judge will review several factors to determine the best outcome for everyone involved. At The Pollard Firm, PLLC in Houston, our experienced child support attorney will work diligently on your behalf to help secure the results your children need in the aftermath of the divorce.
Reach out to our law office today at (832) 864-9296 to set up a free initial phone consultation with our knowledgeable attorney.
Determining Child Support in Texas
When determining child support in Texas, a judge will review several factors. However, one of the biggest factors in this process is the average net monthly resources of the paying parent.
Below are a variety of sources of income used to determine a parent’s gross income:
- Wage and salary income, including tips, overtime, commissions, and bonuses
- Royalty income, interest, and dividends
- Income earned through self-employment
- Net rental income
- All other income received, including unemployment benefits, pensions, severance pay, trust income, disability, retirement pay, annuities, workers’ compensation benefits, gifts, and spousal support.
Below are other sources of income a judge will not use when calculating a parent’s gross income:
- Unpaid accounts receivable
- Income earned by a new partner
- Benefits paid through the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families
- Return of capital or principal on a note not included in the net resources
- Payments for providing foster care
The sum of child support a parent must pay is also based on the number of children involved. However, it is generally capped at 40% of the paying parent’s net resources. In some cases, even if there is only one child, support may be adjusted upward if that child has greater needs that warrant substantially more financial support.
It is also possible to modify child support payments later on if either parent’s financial circumstances change or if the child’s needs increase.
Discuss Your Child Support Case with Our Experienced Family Law Attorney
It is important to ensure your children are cared for and supported even in the aftermath of a divorce. At The Pollard Firm, PLLC in Houston, our knowledgeable family law attorney will work with you to help you obtain the results that best suit your circumstances and support your children’s needs. Whether you are the paying parent or the receiving parent, we will help you achieve a goal that is fair and serves the best interests of your children moving forward.
Take the first step in your child support case today and call our law office at (832) 864-9296 to schedule a free initial phone consultation with our compassionate family law attorney in Houston.